Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Want to make Gmail even more useful? Snooze it!



What is the Gmail snooze feature?
One of my favorite features of Gmail--and one I use almost every day-- is the "snooze" feature. The Gmail snooze feature lets you resend an email to your inbox at a later date (for example when you need to be reminded of something, or when you are ready to take action on the email). 


How to Use it

    • Select the email you want to snooze.  You can open the email to select it, or you can select one or more emails by checking the box next to the email in the inbox.

    • Click the snooze icon from the list of icons on the top of the window.

    • Select a pre-set date and time or click on "Pick date & time" to select a custom date & time. The email will disappear from your inbox and reappear at the date and time selected!


    • You can always find your snoozed emails by clicking on the snoozed folder on the left sidebar of your Gmail.


    When to Use it: Example #1
    Let's say I sent an email to Susan and Bob asking them for information I need for a meeting next Tuesday. Ordinarily, I might be tempted to CC or BCC myself on the email and leave it in my inbox until Friday when I want to send a follow-up email if I have not heard from Susan and Bob about this. This is not a good reminder system because (1) it clutters my inbox, and (2) it might scroll off the bottom of the screen or get "lost" in my inbox and that is not a good reminder system!  Instead of leaving it in my inbox, I can CC or BCC myself on the email and then snooze the email until Friday when it will pop back in my inbox and remind me I need to send an email if I have not heard from Susan or Bob.


    When to Use it: Example #2
    Let's say Luis sends me an email with an agenda for our meeting on February 15.  I want to review the agenda before the meeting and bring it with me to the meeting on February 15, but do not need it cluttering my inbox for the next several weeks.  I can snooze the email until February 14 and then delete/file the email because I know that the email will be delivered again to my inbox on the 14th, giving me time to review the agenda before the meeting. (and keeping all the clutter out of my inbox!)


    How can you use the Gmail snooze feature to improve your productivity?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment